Thursday, June 11, 2009

Patience

The chinese symbol for patience is knife through the heart.

Patience, he said, patience is a little like sticking a knife in your heart. It’s painful. It’s not what you’d do willingly.

Yet if you truly respect and love each other, it means you chose someone else to put first, even beyond your own wants and needs. And no, though it doesn’t stop hurting, it does get easier to let go of the selfishness keeping your wounds fresh and stinging every time you exercise patience.

I’m not going to enjoy the journey. No one’s keeping score along the way. The journey is the reward. Should I fail to find the joy in the now, should my patience stretch too thin to see the humor in today then I truly have failed.

The reality is we are in the here and now.

And to bring closure to this part of my journey, I have to go back to once more to the bargaining table.

The symbol for wisdom is the way between the mouth and the ear.

It's time to speak and to listen.

No comments: