Monday, April 14, 2008

Response to Liz, Letter of Day April 12

No offence but has Lisette ever tried to grow anything.

I have seen numerous letters to the editor with suggestions as to how to grow more food. But all the letters show is that most people have not a clue as to how to grow anything, including myself.

I work in the "knowledge" economy. My deliverables are generally pieces of paper filled with flow diagrams and a bit of code here and there. They are all positively intangible and useless.

My best achievement is that I have four sickiay and ten baby padoo plants around the house. But there is much I do not know.

How to taste the acidity of the soil.
Where the sun moves over the year.
How to create a breadfruit sucker.

The fact is that planting and rearing animals are skills.
Important as, if not more so than any in the "knowledge" economy.
But we discount agriculture as a subject...

Until we realise how dangerous it is that most of us do not know how to grow or recognise food, we are doomed.

No comments: