Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Unreasonable Expectations

My response to Jumbie's gripes

* A slow march in implementing technology, moving ahead only when forced to.

Nothing is wrong with slow. Actually I think slow is better. Despite what "technology" can do, computers only spit out what is put into them. Humans have life stages. Can you make an eight year old into an adult in two years with special training?
No, we need the gift of time.


* A recalcitrant approach to innovation, especially in the various arms of the public service.

We will never have the resources to fund true innovation, as such we will continue to adopt.

The question we must ask ourselves is adopt from whom?

* A lazy and impolite customer care attitude.

Whilst this is true, it is also part of Trini culture to engage in banter. Did you never end up spending an entire afternoon ole talking at the shop, when you just went for a bread.

I would like to continue to live in a place where time is elastic.


* Rude and power-craven public servants (the majority, there are some who genuinely try).

Take you best novel and sit and wait or better make paper cranes for every child and put on a puppet show.

I did the latter last time I had to get my driving license renewed.

* Fellow citizens mulishly stuck in traditions and not willing to see the world as needing change.

Some people chose to live here. To return. Because we like it.

* A traffic situation on par with any in world, and regressively worse than many First World countries.

This I will give you and I walk to work and I chose jobs within walking distance of my home. Also I take taxis, even though I have a car. It will only change if we change the car culture.

I will grant living in England for five years for having changed me in this respect.

* Crime and kidnapping higher than the majority of countries in the world.

Concede Trinidad is part of Latin America. And note the direct correlation with escalation of violence in Venezuela. Will not comment further.

* Police considerably more stupid than most in the world.

The possibility is more sinister, that they are one in the same and a state of emergency is what they want- extraordinary powers which they will never give back.

We need to teach more Latin American history.

* A legal fraternity more concerned with obtaining fat contracts and briefs than to protect the society.

Most lawyers are not in the protect society business. This is not a reasonable expectation.

* A medical fraternity concerned with milking the meagre pockets of the population by ransoming healthcare.

I think this is unfair.

* A dwindling supply of intellectuals and increasing supply of intellectually challenged.

You must chose to live here. It is an individual choice.

* A parasitic oligarchy intent on self preservation.

Name me a country without this.

No comments: